Flow of Funds Accounts and Savings Workshop
The Flow of Funds Accounts (FFA) Workshop, which is supported by CFSP, brings together experts and practitioners to establish a framework for identifying and assessing the current status of FFA in developing countries.
FFA show the financial flows for an entire economy, and thus are very useful for measuring savings, investment, and intermediation, and generally for mapping the primary financial relationships within a country's financial system. However, FFA are quite rare – at least on a comprehensive, systematic basis – for low- and middle-income countries. Thus, a primary goal of this Workshop is to begin establishing the framework for creating FFA for developing countries, by developing new methods of constructing FFA, for instance, by using survey data of low-wealth households to better understand that sector of the economy.
By learning how to construct better FFA, we can better understand the workings of developing economies, and make informed policy recommendations regarding financial systems and poverty. <Read the full workshop vision statement>
April 2012 meeting
- Overview of Flow of Funds, Marco Cagetti [Presentation Slides]
- CFSP's Work on Flow of Funds: NESDB in Thailand, Narapong Srivisal [Presentation Slides]
- CFSP's Work on Flow of Funds: CNBV in Mexico, Sirenia Baez-Vazquez [Presentation Slides]
- Empirical Application of a Flow of Funds Model for India, Christopher Green and Tomoe Moore [Presentation Slides] [Discussion]
- Balance Sheet Economics of the Subprime Mortgage Crisis, Kazusuke Tsujimura and Masako Tsujimura [Presentation Slides] [Discussion]
- A Macroeconomist's Wish List of Financial Data, V.V. Chari [Presentation Slides]
- Credit Crises, Precautionary Savings, and the Liquidity Trap, Veronica Guerrieri and Guido Lorenzoni [Presentation Slides] [Discussion]
- Inflation and the Price of Real Assets, Monika Piazzesi (with Martin Schneider) [Presentation Slides] [Discussion]
- Panel Discussion: Flow of Funds, Francisco Buera, Victor Murinde, and Surapol Srihuang [Buera Slides] [Srihuang Slides]